Monday, July 6, 2026

The Norwegian Jewel, Bermuda and Charleson - a Perfect Combination

 


When school is out for the summer, that's when I have time to travel. Last year, I took a cruise on the Norwegian Getaway to Bermuda, and I absolutely loved it. So this year, I decided to go back.

My boyfriend and I took a 7-day round-trip cruise on the Norwegian Jewel from Philadelphia to Bermuda and Charleston, South Carolina. The itinerary included an overnight stay in Bermuda, but honestly, it wasn't enough time. I had our itinerary planned in advance, and I'm happy to say we were able to do everything on our list. Here's what we did.

Bermuda 

Day 1 

We purchased a two-day public transportation pass, which included unlimited ferry and bus rides throughout the island. You can purchase it at the Visitor Information Center at the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Keep in mind that Norwegian Cruise Line offers a complimentary ferry between the Royal Naval Dockyard and St. George, but we decided to buy the transportation pass anyway so we could also use the buses.

From the Naval Dockyard, located at the western tip of Bermuda, we took the public ferry to St. George on the northeastern end of the island. The ferry ride took about 40 minutes.

Crystal Caves



Once we arrived in St. George, we took Bus #10 to Crystal and Fantasy Caves, which is about a 15-20 minute bus ride. We were able to do the guided tour of the Crystal Caves and it did not disappoint. 





The caves were absolutely beautiful and truly a sight to see. As we descended into the cave, we immediately noticed the impressive stalactites hanging from the ceiling and stalagmites growing upward from the cave floor. Over time, they eventually meet to form columns.  Stalactites and stalagmites take hundreds of years to grow, making this natural wonder even more incredible.  Plus, it takes approximately three to four weeks for rainwater to seep into the cave. The water you see in the photos is actually ocean water.

I highly recommend visiting the caves for yourself. It's a wonderful activity for visitors of all ages.

Note: The pathway leading down into the cave is steep and can be wet. I highly recommend wearing sneakers with good traction. I would not recommend this tour for anyone who has difficulty walking or struggles with balance.

Swizzle Inn


After our tour, we walked across the street to the Swizzle Inn Pub & Restaurant, Bermuda's oldest pub and the home of the island's national drink, the Rum Swizzle, which was created in the early 1900s. We went inside to look around, but it was crowded, and we weren't interested in eating there, so we decided to head back to St. George for lunch instead.

Wahoo's Bistro and Patio

We ate at Wahoo's Bistro & Patio, where we enjoyed the grilled mahi-mahi fish tacos and mahi-mahi nuggets. Both were absolutely delicious, and I highly recommend them.


Clearwater Beach

                                St. David's Lighthouse from Clearwater Beach

  

Next, we visited Clearwater Beach on St. David's Island in southeastern Bermuda. It was simply beautiful. The beach offers Sunjammers Beach Bar, restrooms, showers, a playground, and rentals for lounge chairs, umbrellas, stand-up paddleboards, and kayaks. It's also within walking distance of Cooper's Island Nature Reserve.

We didn't hike through the reserve because we weren't dressed appropriately, but we were able to explore part of the area along one of the clear walking paths.




Again, the pictures don't do it justice. The water was crystal clear and a stunning shade of turquoise and it had a rocky shoreline.  I definitely recommend wearing or bringing sneakers, especially if you plan to hike the trails.



Note: This area has a lot of wild brush and cacti. We didn't want to risk hiking without long pants and long sleeves. If you plan to explore Cooper's Island Nature Reserve, I recommend bringing appropriate hiking clothes. You can always change at the beach showers before heading over.   

Another thing to keep in mind is that this area isn't heavily serviced by public buses. Buses only arrive about once an hour. We actually missed ours while returning to St. George, so I would recommend taking a taxi to and from this area if your schedule is tight. 

Fortunately, Bermudians are incredibly friendly and welcoming. While waiting at the bus stop, we met Mr. Thomas Smith, a Bermudian whose family is from New Jersey.  As it turns out, he's a behavior specialist at a middle school, so we had a lot in common.  It really is a small world!

He had been attending a family reunion nearby and kindly offered to drive us to the ferry terminal, about 15 minutes away. He perfectly represented Bermudian hospitality. I only wish we had taken a photo together, but we did connect on Instagram.

Day 2


The following day, we stayed near the Royal Naval Dockyard since the ship was departing Bermuda that afternoon. We needed to be back onboard by 2:30 p.m., so we explored the Dockyard, visited the Clocktower Mall, and walked over to Seaglass Beach.  There's no need to take a bus or taxi because it's only a short walk, especially since the beach entrance has been relocated.

Seaglass Beach



Seaglass is everywhere along this beach. Although the area has a rugged appearance, once you stop and listen to the waves, you can actually hear the sea glass gently rattling along the shoreline. It's a unique experience.

Final Thoughts on Bermuda

Bermuda is a beautiful island filled with friendly and helpful people. There's truly something for everyone.

I recommend planning your time carefully because, although Bermuda is only about 21 square miles, traveling between attractions can take longer than you might expect.

Travel Tip: Consider your transportation options before arriving. Whether you choose taxis, buses, ferries, or rent a scooter (remember, Bermudians drive on the left side of the road), knowing what you want to see ahead of time will help you make the best decision. Looking back, I probably would have purchased only a one-day transportation pass and relied on taxis a little more.

I know I'll be visiting this beautiful island again. Until next time!

Charleston, South Carolina

The next stop on our itinerary was Charleston, South Carolina. Our ship was in port from 11:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.


It was my first visit, and I immediately fell in love with this charming, history-filled city. One of the first buildings you see after disembarking is the impressive United States Custom House.


From there, we walked to Waterfront Park to see the famous Pineapple Fountain. The pineapple has long been a symbol of Southern hospitality, representing warmth, welcome, and community. Installed in 1990, the fountain celebrates the restoration of Charleston's waterfront and commemorates the city's resilience following Hurricane Hugo.



As we continued exploring, we admired the cobblestone streets, Rainbow Row, historic homes, and unique local shops. Many of the homes displayed Carolopolis Award plaques, presented by the Preservation Society of Charleston to recognize outstanding historic preservation.

Although the city was beautiful, it was extremely hot. After walking around for about two hours, we decided to return to the ship.

This sailing marked Norwegian Cruise Line's final stop at Charleston on this itinerary. The cruise terminal will be relocating about 1.5 miles away, and at the time of our sailing, cruises departing from Philadelphia were scheduled to sail to Canada instead. It remains uncertain whether Norwegian will return to Charleston in the future.

Overall Thoughts

Overall, this was a wonderful vacation. I truly enjoyed every destination we visited and would happily return to each of them.

If you're thinking about planning a cruise—or any type of vacation—I'd love to help. Feel free to contact me, and let's make your travel dreams come true!  A wise man once said, "work to live, don't live to work!"















Contact Me

If you would like to contact me, please fill out the form below and I will get in touch with you as soon as I can. Thank you!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *