Norwegian Cruise Line signed a 7 year contract with the Port of Philadelphia to bring cruising back to the area. The first cruise from Philadelphia in about 15 years was on April 16, 2026. This will be great for the local economy and very convenient for anyone who wants to avoid flying to a cruise terminal to enjoy a cruise vacation. Norwegian will offer cruises on the Norwegian Jewel and the Norwegian Pearl into 2027 and 2028.
Last year, I sailed out of Manhattan on Norwegian Cruise Line on the Norwegian Getaway, and I instantly reminisce of memories from that area. Although sailing pass the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the iconic Empire State Building, the Freedom Tower, the Brooklyn Bridge and sailed under the Verrazzano Bridge to the Atlantic Ocean was familiar and I loved every minute of it. However, there was something special sailing from Philadelphia.
I recently came back from a 7 day round-trip cruise on the Norwegian Jewel to Bermuda and Charleston, SC on July 2, 2026. First, I was amazed that it took 6 hours to cruise down the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean. Secondly, the Jewel sailed under two major bridges, the Commodore Barry Bridge and the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It was a sight to see! The scenery was beautiful and very busy with cargo ships, tug boats, and other vessels and personal water crafts.
Since the cruise terminal in Philadelphia is not yet completed, because of inclement weather this past winter, Norwegian Cruise Line partnered with the Clarion Hotel in Essington, PA to arrange parking, hotel accommodations, check-in, and transportation to the Port of Philadelphia.
With so many new procedures in place, I am happy to report that my transition to and from the hotel and port went smoothly.
About 2 weeks before my cruise, I called the Clarion Hotel to reserve and pre-pay for my parking, which was $112.00. I would highly recommend it.
Tip: If you pre-pay for parking, you will receive an email of your receipt. I recommend that you print out the receipt because you will need to show the parking attendant that you paid for parking when you pull into the lot. The parking attendant will give you a ticket to put in the windshield of your vehicle.
Obviously, on the morning of my cruise, I drove from my home to the Clarion Hotel at 76 Industrial Highway, Essington, PA. I briefly parked behind the hotel to drop off my luggage, where it was being loaded into trucks to be transported to the cruise terminal. Then, I parked my car in the parking lot and walked inside the hotel to check-in for the cruise.




